Monday, March 23, 2009

A cook at war, and on the run

I am in a giant house and I have decided not to go to work that day, this is happening during world war II. Around the house their are improvisers cooking on small grills. One of them is Craig Uhlir. He asks me casually what I would cook if I were behind a grill. I tell him I would unfold Broccoli and fill it with cream cheese, and I would also make chicken wings. He smiles and nods and says "Well then I think we have a grill for you." He goes to some shelves and puts the ingredients I listed on a paper plate, and tells me to follow him. There is a swamp full of soldiers up to their waists in mud, and Craig tells one of them to start digging a ditch in the mud for the new grill I will cook in for them. I realize that I am also one of the soldiers. As the soldier digs the ditch with the butt of his rifle, Craig tells us that there is an attack on the way from Africa, and we are on the front lines. Our job is the make the place look like a mess. The soldier who is digging goes white, as do the rest of the soldiers, we know that we are probably going to die. Craig is smiling at us, and he leaves. I hide the best I can behind a tree and mount my gun, preparing for the people coming in. A bright orange grenade drops in and explodes, nobody is hurt. Then we start to hear a great angry crowd shouting and shooting guns, they are coming our direction. We are hearing screams of pain and triumphant shouts of rage. I ready my gun to pick them off as they come over the edge that leads down into our swamp. They are getting closer.

Just then I hear running and shouting behind me, and a group of African tribesman are running in, enraged and all holding pistols. They point the pistols as us and begin to shoot, we shoot back. I am terrified and I try to stay away from the bullets. They are not good shots and I am amazingly not killed, though I am hit in the shoulder all the soldiers in my group are shot dead. Their heads and body parts violently explode where they are hit, I pretend to be dead and lay in the mud. They run off, and I try to run to safety. As I am running through the streets, I see that these same men are using their pistols on everybody they see. Randomly shooting civilians in the head. I am horrified at the violence and I continue to run, hoping I am not caught or seen by one of the men. As I continue to run, I hear myself retelling the story of my escape in my head. I see a fence near a highway, I run up to it, and a cop car pulls up to arrest a woman standing in front of it because she is a detective but not a very good one, I climb the fence and I hear the cop coming after me for climbing the fence. I duck behind it to hide, the cop climbs the fence after me, and starts to explain that I can't be over here so close to the highway. I try to tell the officer what is happening, and that civilians are being shot but he doesn't believe me. There is a gap in the fence and I see a group of people running away, I know they are being chased by a man with a gun. I slowly move out of the sightlines of that gap in the fence, and I watch as the police officer looks horrified, because one of the African soldiers is pointing his gun at him. He is shot in the head and he dies instantly. I wait for the man to leave and then I start running down the highway against traffic. I see a charter bus and I wave it down. As I am doing this, a gunman sees me and starts to run towards me. I tell the bus to drive. Eventually, I asked to drive the bus.

I am speeding the bus down the highway to get away, and I can't keep the bus straight. Kimber Hall is sitting shotgun, and is asking what I want to do, I tell her I have no idea. I accidently start to drive off the road and I run through a sign for a car store that only sells firebirds. We turn on the radio and the news people are saying that they were attempting to start a race war within the united states, but they did not succeed of course.

I am driving on the highway, I can't keep control of the bus, I am running scared and I don't know where I'm going. Don't you hate obvious dreams like that?

Then I woke up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious as to how many of your dreams involve violence related to the video games you've played.

    ReplyDelete