Monday, March 16, 2009

Back to Tecumseh. Strange Fish.

I am dropping off some friends for another summer performing at Tecumseh in Ohio (this is an outdoor drama summer stock theatre thing I did about 4 summers ago where you live on a mountain in the middle of the woods and do theatre). I am giving a ride to Suzanne and Dan in my old '91 grey/silver maxima to the mountain, which looks completely different than I remember. I am seeing old faces of people who I recognize (but who in my actual waking life I have never met) standing along the sides of a dirt road and waving at me, Suzanne, and Dan. I park the car to get out and say hello for awhile before returning to the work I have to do back home. I start looking around for my friend Josh, and I see him in a broken down barn with lots of old rotting wood in it. I walk in the barn and wave at him and trip a bit on all the debris of old pieces of barn. Large logs and little splinters alike. I go and look for my friends to say goodbye to them, and they are standing in a clearing of grass staring at the Batcopter (which, if you didn't know, is Batman's helicopter) and listening as a man in the helicopter speaks to them through a loudspeaker. I know something is afoot, because the Joker stole the Batcopter a while back, and was the last person to have it. I have a conversation where me and commissioner Gordon realize that the joker has gone beyond just joking, and is now actively hypnotizing people from the Bat-copter. This strikes me as particularly nefarious, so I get ready to go. But, before I can go, I will need water for my journey. I take a plastic bag out full of water that contains three fish and a sea anemone that I own. There is a beta fish, a goldfish, and a little blue fish. I am in one of the cabins holding the bag and there are three beds and the cabin looks very very well put together. The walls are painted and everything is nice and clean and well put together. I think to myself that women are so much better at interior decorating than men. I go to my friend Kristin's cabin, because I know she has fish, and I ask her if my fish can stay with her fish in her fish tank because I need the water for my journey. She says of course, and I ask her if any of her fish will eat mine, she assures me they will not. I put the three fish and sea anemone in the tank. Seconds after doing this, one of her fish's mouth grows and eats the beta fish, and then the blue fish gets eaten. The sea anemone swims around by flapping it's tentacles about, which doesn't strike me as strange at all. It eats algae. I yell "oh no! My fish!" when they are eaten, and I feel regret but then I think to myself that I really kept them in that bag for a long time and probably didn't care much for them anyway. I look around and I see that Kristin's cabin is full of fish tanks filled with water and many different kinds of fish. My goldfish has somehow safely made it's way to another tank that is safer, and I am happy that at least two of my fish creatures survived. My sea anemone lands on the sands floor, and then a giant flat fish that was hiding in the sand leaps out and snaps at the water. I am very startled by this, and then wonder how the hell, and furthermore why the hell, one goes about purchasing a fish like that. I leave the cabin. Then I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment